It is very useful to know how your website’s popularity is growing (or falling). It’s also very important to continually monitor how popular your competitor’s sites are.
There are many ways of researching a website’s popularity, but it has always been a time-consuming process requiring visiting five or six websites.
To help you in your analysis, here are the best, free, and simple web tools to help you learn more about your website and your competitor.
- Semrush – SEMrush is a software as a service company based in Boston that sells online visibility and marketing analytics software subscriptions. It was founded by Oleg Shchegolev and Dmitry Melnikov as an SEO tool and a browser extension before adopting the SaaS model. This SEO tool does your keyword research, tracks the keyword strategy used by your competition, runs an SEO audit of your blog, looks for backlinking opportunities and lots more. SEMrush is trusted by internet marketers all over the world. It is also used by a number of businesses, big and small
- Google Trends – Google Trends is a website by Google that analyzes the popularity of top search queries in Google Search across various regions and languages. The website uses graphs to compare the search volume of different queries over time.
- Google Search Console – Google Search Console is a web service by Google, provided free of charge for webmasters, which allows them to check indexing status and optimize visibility of their websites. As of May 20, 2015, Google rebranded Google Webmaster Tools as Google Search Console
- Spyfu – SpyFu, originally GoogSpy, is an American search analytics company based out of Scottsdale, Arizona. Started in April 2005, SpyFu shows the keywords that websites buy on Google Adwords as well as the keywords that websites are showing up for within search results.
- Moz – Backed by the largest community of SEOs on the planet, Moz builds tools that make SEO, inbound marketing, link building, and content marketing easy.
- Woorank – Instantly review your website for free with the WooRank SEO Checker! Find issues, track keywords, identify opportunities & create reports.
- BuzzSumo – Run a search to quickly discover content ideas, uncover platform insights, identify passionate influencers and more.
- Ubersuggest – This is an awesome free tool which can find 100s of new long-tail keywords in a few minutes. It aggregates data from Google Suggest which provides keyword ideas similar and related to your searches on Google.
- Ahrefs – Audit your website, explore competitors, research keywords & backlinks – all in one place. Powered by seriously big data & trusted by top SEOs.
Pick a few sites and take a look at the results. These are great research tools to use when deciding what subject your website should cover or when tracking what your competitors are doing.