What Content will People Pay for on the Internet?
With an ever-expanding abundance of content available online, users are often presented with the choice between accessing free or paid content. This division has resulted in an ongoing conversation among content creators about what content can be successfully monetised.
Fundamentally, if you want to charge for your website’s content, you need to choose a subject people are willing to pay for to access.
The types of internet content that people are willing to pay for can vary depending on individual preferences and market trends. However, we list ten proven types of membership website content that people will pay for.
1. Exclusive, niche content
The number one reason that people pay for content is because they can’t get the information they need elsewhere for free. Successful membership websites tend to be run by people deeply immersed in their subject, whose access to certain sources, background knowledge and informed opinion creates sustainable advantage and value.
- growingformarket provides comprehensive information and tips to market farmers about flower and veggie production.
2. Industry news and research
Sharing exclusive industry news, insights and research findings relevant to members’ professional or personal interests can provide a competitive edge. Paying for access to reliable, comprehensive industry reports and analysis can save time and provide members with the knowledge to make well-informed business decisions based on credible and up-to-date information.
- labbulletin is an online resource for scientists and laboratory professionals covering products, news and case studies.
3. Coaching and mentoring
Coaching and mentoring websites are popular because they provide members with personalized guidance, support and accountability. By combining one-on-one guidance with a structured goal-setting approach, these websites empower users to stay focused and make meaningful strides towards personal or professional growth. This strategy results in strong member engagement, satisfaction, and retention.
4. Access to a niche community
Websites that focus on a niche community succeed because they create a sense of belonging and camaraderie among like-minded individuals. This supportive and motivational environment empower users to share experiences, exchange knowledge and work together towards.
- Goodreads is a niche platform specifically designed for book lovers. The website fosters a community of book enthusiasts who can connect, discuss their favorite reads, join book clubs, and participate in reading challenges together.
5. Expert advice
Expert advice websites provide users with access to specialized knowledge, insights, and solutions that address their unique needs and challenges. By offering credible and valuable information these websites establish trust and credibility and can attract a loyal user base willing to pay to access its content.
- tinnitustunes offers expert advice, research and treatments for sufferers of tinnitus.
6. Resource libraries
Libraries of pre-prepared resources can have great value to teachers, business people and hobbyists. Providing a centralized and curated collection of valuable materials, saves members time and effort in searching for relevant information.
These libraries can cover a wide range of topics and diverse array of resources, such as templates, guides, and tools. The access to resource hub can enhance their knowledge, skills, and productivity, making the website a valuable and go-to source for their specific needs.
- LovePrayTeach has a library of downloadable Sunday school teaching materials to support parents and teachers.
7. Progress tracking and goal setting
Websites that track member progress with goal-setting features are successful because they provide individuals with a sense of accountability and motivation. By allowing members to visualise their progress, set milestones, these websites types create a sense of achievement and empower individuals to make meaningful strides towards their goals, which lead to a higher level of member engagement and retention.
8. Course and educational content
The Internet is the perfect tool for delivering interactive course materials. Lessons can be delivered sequentially over a period of time, or can all be made available in one go.
Online courses are extremely popular because they offer students convenience, flexibility and a wide range of subject options. Student can learn at their own pace in the comfort of their own home.
- stemsmart is an example of an online curriculum resource for preschool educators. It’s numerous courses explore a diverse range of topics.
9. Financial advice and analysis
Many of the most successful paid content websites provide expert insights, analysis, and guidance that can help members make informed financial decisions and achieve their monetary goals. These websites often offer personalised recommendations, educational resources, and tools that empower users to improve their financial literacy, make smart investments, and effectively manage their money. The accuracy of such data is critical so people will pay to access it from credible sources.
- theleadlagreport was started by an award winning analyst and provides investors with daily insights and strategies to minimize risks over the long term.
10. Online fitness and wellness programs
Online fitness and wellness websites have rapidly gained traction due to the convenience and flexibility they offer. With the increasing demand for personalised fitness solutions, these platforms respond with tailored workouts to suit individual goals and lifestyles.
Moreover, a sense of community can be fostered through forums and social media groups, creating an environment that encourages accountability and motivation for their members.
- inspireencourageempower offers chair yoga routines designed for seniors. Members can practice along with a video tutorial or join the twice-weekly live Zoom sessions.
As the examples above show, there is a large and willing audience ready to pay for the right content provided in the right format at the right time.
The most effective content for a membership website is one that aligns with the needs, interests, and aspirations of the target audience, offering valuable and exclusive resources and experiences that members cannot easily find elsewhere.
Free membership ebook
Download our five-step guide to a profitable membership website
Hire our design service
Ready to transform your knowledge into an online business with a membership website but don’t have the time or skill to build it yourself? Our design service could be the solution.Learn More
- The 5 Numbers You Must Know to Ensure the Success of Your Membership Website
- 5 Musts for a Successful Financial Membership Website in 2024
- Create an Income Selling Digital Downloads and Printables
- The Best Membership Website Builder for Online Courses in 2024
- Market Your Membership Website with Landing Pages
- Case Study: Setting Up a Profitable Online Side Business
- Case Study: Selling Downloadable Sunday School Teaching Materials
- Case Study: How an Author can Create an Online Presence
- Case Study: Launching an Educational Resources Membership Website
- Case Study: Identifying your Customer Persona
- Case Study: Starting an Online Digital Magazine
- Case Study: Starting an Online Yoga Studio Website
- Case Study: Building an Online Guitar School Membership Website